Monthly Wrap Up | January 2014

The first month of 2014 has ended. I can't believe it's 2014 and already February! I started the spring semester a couple weeks ago so I haven't been reading as much as I want to, and some of the books I read were required reading. So let's get onto what I read in January. Along with some things that happened on the blog this month.

Books Read



A Clash of Kings (Song of Fire and Ice series, #2) by George RR Martin - What a massive book to start the new year off with. While I didn't think this book was quite as good as A Game of Thrones, I loved it nonetheless. I can't wait to continue on with the series. I've also started watching the tv show and enjoying it so far! Gave this one 4 out of 5 stars.

Nick and Tesla's High-Voltage Danger Lab: A Mystery with Electromagnets, Burglar Alarms, and Other Gadgets You Can Build Yourself by Bob Pflugfelder and Steve Hockensmith - This was a quick, fun read. It was the perfect thing to pick up after finishing such a massive book. Check out my full review of it here. Gave it 4 out of 5 stars.

The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway (Required Reading) - I had to read this one for my Lit class. I love Hemingway and this one was no exception to his talent. While it was slow at times, I still enjoyed Hemingway's writing and the story overall. Gave this one 4 out of 5 stars.

Angelfall by Susan Ee - I've heard some amazing things about this book and I'm so glad that I read it. While it didn't blow my mind, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was a refreshing take on angels and a different dystopian society. I have World After, the second book, out from the library currently, planning to read it soon and can't wait to dive back into this world! Gave this one 4 out of 5 stars.

A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan (Required Reading) - This was another book I had to read for my Lit class. It has received some great critic reviews, but I didn't catch what was so great about it. I enjoyed the stories told, but I just found it boring at times and the characters were not relatable to me. Gave this one 3 out of 5 stars.

Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry - Another book that has been well received and recommended all around. I think sometimes the hype gets the best of me and I expect too much of the book. While I really enjoyed this one, it didn't exceed the too high expectations I had for it. I still really enjoyed this book, the characters and the romance. Gave this one 4 out of 5 stars.

Ketchup Clouds by Annabel Pitcher - I was so excited to read this book after reading the synopsis. I wasn't sure what to expect from it and I'm glad I went into it mostly blind. The unique premise of this book drew me in and the story kept me reading. This was a quick read that I ended up really enjoying. Gave this one 4 out of 5 stars.

Life of Pi by Yann Martel (Required Reading) - Yet another book I had to read for my Lit class. I went into this book with very low expectations, I was anticipating not liking it when I ended up really liking it a lot. I really enjoyed the survival story and the companionship between Pi and Richard Parker (the tiger). Gave this one 4 out of 5 stars.



January Reviews on the Blog







A few other fun posts I did last month








Comments