ARC Review | The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black

Title: The Coldest Girl in Coldtown 
Author: Holly Black
Publication: September 3rd, 2013
Publisher: Little Brown Books for Young Readers
Source: ARC I received at ALA 2013

Rating: 5 out 5 stars


Synopsis: Tana lives in a world where walled cities called Coldtowns exist. In them, quarantined monsters and humans mingle in a decadently bloody mix of predator and prey. The only problem is, once you pass through Coldtown's gates, you can never leave. 

One morning, after a perfectly ordinary party, Tana wakes up surrounded by corpses. The only other survivors of this massacre are her exasperatingly endearing ex-boyfriend, infected and on the edge, and a mysterious boy burdened with a terrible secret. Shaken and determined, Tana enters a race against the clock to save the three of them the only way she knows how: by going straight to the wicked, opulent heart of Coldtown itself. 


Review: I freakin' loved this book. Now that I got that out of the way, let's talk about why. First off I loved that this book was new take on vampires, like nothing that I have read before. The vampires were raw, dangerous and similar to the "classic" vampire but with elements that made them unique to this world. They reminded me of the Anne Rice's vampires in interview of a vampire, but with a more modern twist. Holly Black did such a fantastic job building this world that I didn't want to leave it despite how horrifying it is. 

This book not only has vampires, but adventure as well. I found myself wanting to know what happens next as Tana and her growing group of tag-alongs journeyed with her to a place where no one knows what is to come or what is going to happen to them. The realness within these pages both surprised and impressed me. I loved that there were all types of relationships and characters in this book. We meet a variety of people that are bisexual, homosexual, straight and transgender. 

This was my first Holly Black book and I can say that I will definitely be reading some more of her work. The writing in this book flowed so beautifully that it has stuck with me months after I read it. This book has become one of my all time favorite books. While I'm happy that this book is a stand alone (because there aren't enough of them in YA), I'm sad that there won't be more of Tana and Gavriel. However I can see myself rereading this book and reliving their story and this world again and again. 


Have you read this one and if so, what did you think of it? What are some of your favorite vampire books?








Comments