Book Review | The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen

Title: The Truth About Forever
Author: Sarah Dessen
Publication: May 11th, 2004
Publisher: Penguin
Source: Bought it

Rating: 3 out 5 stars


Synopsis: A long, hot summer...

That's what Macy has to look forward to while her boyfriend, Jason, is away at Brain Camp. Days will be spent at a boring job in the library, evenings will be filled with vocabulary drills for the SATs, and spare time will be passed with her mother, the two of them sharing a silent grief at the traumatic loss of Macy's father. 

But sometimes unexpected things can happen - things such as the catering job at Wish, with its fun-loving, chaotic crew. Or her sister's project of renovating the neglected beach house, awakening long-buried memories. Things such as meeting Wes, a boy with a past, a taste for Truth-telling, and an amazing artistic talent, the kind of boy who could turn any girl's world upside down. As Macy ventures out of her shell, she begins to wonder, Is it really better to be safe than sorry?


Review: I'm embarrassed, but excited to say that I have finally read a Sarah Dessen book. This is my very first Sarah Dessen book, I don't know what took me so long to pick one up, but I'm happy to be on the Sarah Dessen train. While this one wasn't my favorite book, I'm looking forward to reading more Sarah Dessen. Let's talk about this one first.

Overall I really did enjoy this book. I liked the storyline with the dramatic twists and the relatable dialogue. The people, the events and the thoughts and feelings of the characters were all relatable and could happen in real life. I loved the focus on relationships, I think that's a truly unique aspect to Sarah Dessen and her stories. After reading this one and hearing about her other books, she's one of the best to write about realistic, relatable relationships. 

The character development in this book is fantastic. I felt like I knew the characters, I related to the characters, I got frustrated with them, they had me rooting for them. I felt that every single character was extremely well developed, I loved seeing each of them get their own moment to grow, learn and have a chance at happiness. 

The romance was very sweet, though I have to say I was so frustrated with Macy at times. I couldn't help but think, girl, what the heck are you doing? Get you're head on straight and see what's right in front of you! I did like the slow burn into a flame between Macy and Wes. It wasn't a common relationship to see develop in a YA book and I really enjoyed that. 

The only complaint I have about this book and the reason its only 3 stars is because I had such a hard time getting through it. It was so slow at times and I just wanted to put it down. I had to force myself to finish this one and while I'm glad that I did, I was a tad disappointed after all the great hype I've heard about Dessen's books. Does this mean I will never read another one of her books? Absolutely not. I am very excited to pick up another one of her books and give it a swing. Got any recs?


Let's chat: Did you read this one, if so, what'd you think of it? What's your favorite Sarah Dessen book and why?









Comments