Book Review | Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

Title: Scarlet
Author: Marissa Meyer
Publication: February 5th, 2013
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Source: Bought it

Rating: 4.5 out 5 stars


Synopsis: The fates of Cinder and Scarlet collide as a Lunar threat spreads across the Earth...

Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She's trying to break out of prison- even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive.

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner.


Review: This series just gets better with this book! Marissa Meyer does such a fantastic job retelling Cinderella with Cinder and Scarlet is no exception. I'll admit that I wasn't sure I was going to like this one as much as I enjoyed Cinder, but it surprised me. I ended up liking this book even more than I enjoyed Cinder.  It's pack full of action, drives the larger series plot forward and has a cute romance in it! 

When I read fairytale retellings I'm always wondering how in the world the author is going to tell the fairytale in their own unique way, just exactly how are they going to tell a classic tale but in a different way? Marissa does such a fantastic job of keeping the classic elements of the fairy tale, but adding her own twist on it. In this retelling of Red Riding Hood she keeps the classic elements such as Scarlet and her red cloak, Wolf, and a Grandmother that goes missing. To go into more details would reveal some spoilers so I'm going to skip them, but trust me when I say that this series are some impressive retellings and highly enjoyable. The sci-fi twists she spins in this book make it all the better. This book never went where I thought it was going to go, it was constantly surprising me and all in good ways. 

Scarlet has become one of my favorite characters in this series. I love that she is a great partner for Cinder in the way that she balances Cinder's characteristics with her forthcoming personality. Scarlet is determined, doesn't take any crap from anyone and stands up for herself and those around her. Scarlet and Wolf melted my heart a little every page they were on. I love the way their romance developed throughout the book and the way that they grow and strengthen each other. 

In this book, we meet Thorne and oh my goodness, oh my goodness guys. He's so fantastic. I really can't wait to see more of him in this series. I am so ready for Cress! This book was even better than the first book and I look forward to seeing this series gain momentum and I have high hopes for the next book. 



Have you read this one and if so, what did you think of it? What are some of your favorite fairytale retellings?








Comments