2015 End of the Year Book Survey


This survey is created by the lovely Jamie from at The Perpetual Page-Turner. Here are my answers surrounding my 2015 reads!


2015 Reading Stats

Number Of Books You Read: 54 books!
Number of Re-Reads: zero 
Genre You Read The Most From: Fantasy

Best In Books

1. Best Book You Read In 2015? 
(If you have to cheat — you can break it down by genre if you want or 2015 release vs. backlist) 
This is hard to answer.. Best whole series I read from beginning to end in 2015 would have to be Under the Never Sky trilogy by Veronica Rossi. A close second is The Song of the Lioness Quartet by Tamora Pierce. 
Best sequel I read in 2015...The Winner's Crime by Marie Rutkoski.
Best 2015 release I read in 2015...The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh
Best series ending...Winter by Marissa Meyer

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. Maas. I was SO SO SO EXCITED for this book, this series is a favorite of mine, but it was so different and not really in ways I was hoping it would be. This goes beyond the ship and aligns with what many of you have already said. I thought I was going to love this one as much as the others in the series, but it was far from what I was expecting.

 3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read? 
The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh. This book completely blew me away. I LOVED it. I was nervous because of the hype and thought it might just end up being an okay read for me. I kept putting it off and finally read it and I ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT.

 4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
 HMMM. I wasn't really a big book pusher this past year, But I did push The Winner's Kiss and The Wrath and the Dawn on my sister. She really liked The Winner's Kiss and is currently reading (and loving) The Wrath and the Dawn. 

 5. Best series you started in 2015? Best Sequel of 2015? Best Series Ender of 2015?
 Best series I started was The Edgewood Chronicles, a wonderfully whimsical middle grade fantasy. Also, The Kate Daniels series, a fantastic urban fantasy series. 
Best sequel would have to be The Winner's Crime!
For best series ender, I have to pick Winter by Marissa Meyer

 6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2015?
Favorite new author..this is hard. I can't stop at one so I have to say Veronica Rossi, Tamora Pierce, Ilona Andrews, and Paul Stewart.

7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
 Burying Water by K.A. Tucker. I don't typically read new adult, but this year I gave one a shot and so glad I did. I really enjoyed reading Burying Water and I plan to read more of her books. 

 8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
 Is it too much to say the Under the Never Sky trilogy again? I marathoned this series because I couldn't stop reading and had to find out what happened next. 

 9. Book You Read In 2015 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
 Hmm, I'm not sure. I'm not a big re-reader but if I were perhaps The Winner's Crime or The Wrath and the Dawn for preparing for their sequels to be released. 

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2015?
 Six of Crows!
!

11. Most memorable character of 2015?
 Alanna from the Song of the Lioness Quartet, she's so BA and awesome. I love how she was consistently herself and stuck up for herself in ALL situations. 

 12. Most beautifully written book read in 2015?
 Most beautifully written would have to be Uprooted by Naomi Novik. While I didn't really like this one as much as I thought I would, I absolutely fell in love with the writing. It was STUNNINGLY written. 

13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2015?
 Maybe in Another Life by Taylor Jenkins Reid. Taylor is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors, I've loved both books that I've read by her so far. And loved this one as well. With a main theme of parallel universes and an ending that I'm not going to spoil, I was thinking for days after reading this one. 

14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2015 to finally read? 
Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta! I've finally read it though :) and really enjoyed it! 

15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2015? 
"You could rattle the stars," she whispered. "You could do anything, if only you dared. And deep down, you know it, too. That's what scares you most."
and later on...
"Let's go rattle the stars."
-Sarah J. Maas, Queen of Shadows


16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2015?
Shortest: 90 pages of So Long a Letter by Maiama Ba (required reading for classes in early 2015)
Longest: 824 pages of Winter by Marissa Meyer

17. Book That Shocked You The Most
(Because of a plot twist, character death, left you hanging with your mouth wide open, etc.)
A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara. The content was really shocking throughout this book, and very emotional. I don't want to say too much because I don't want to give anything away. But this book was constantly shocking me. 

18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
(OTP = one true pairing if you aren’t familiar)
Aria and Perry!! (from the Under the Never Sky trilogy)
Also Matthias and Nina. and Kaz and Inez.

Cress and Thorne! As well as Iko and Kinney, Wolf and Scarlet, Cinder and Kai!

19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
Aelin and Lysandra, I'm all about solid and loyal female friendships!

Also a solid friendship between a male and female.. Aria and Roar!

20. Favorite Book You Read in 2015 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
 Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo!

21. Best Book You Read In 2015That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce (Thanks Maraia for strongly recommending this one so that I finally picked it up!)
Also InkBonesBooks on YouTube recommended The Edgewood Chronicles and the Kate Daniels series which I picked up solely on her recommendations and ended up LOVING both.  

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2015?
 Perry from Under the Never Sky and I can't forget Khalid from The Wrath and the Dawn!

23. Best 2015 debut you read?
 I think the Wrath and the Dawn is a debut? If not then, First and Then by Emma Mills, I think is the only debut I read this year. 

24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
The Edgewood Chronicles. So whimsical and inventive. The illustrations throughout the book really brought the setting to life for me.  

25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
 Most fun to read.. Illuminae! The unique structure was a fun reading experience!

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2015?
 The Bronze Horseman made me cry quite a bit. Also I'll Meet You There by Heather Demetrios. Maybe in Another Life by Taylor Jenkins Reid. A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara. Oh, and God-Shaped Hole by Tiffanie DeBartalo. ALL THE FEELS with all of these!

27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
 For me, The Edgewood Chronicles!

28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
Hmm. I think The Bronze Horseman crushed my heart. And A Little Life really crushed my soul, it's a heart-wrenching book.  

29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2015?
 Definitely Illuminae, the formatting was unlike anything that I've ever read. 

30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
Only Ever Yours by Louise O'Neill. This book is eye-opening to me on women's roles in society. It made me so upset reading the truth behind the words in the book. That this is really happening in our society, but in a less subtle way. It just angered me so much to see it so blunt in the story and so relevant in real life, that should it be so blunt in real life maybe people would take action to change things around.  

My Blogging/Bookish Life

1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2015?
 This is so hard, since there are so many great blogs and booktube channels that I have a hard time choosing one. Even just listing a few is hard because there's so many awesome blogs and booktube channels out there.  
A few blogs I've been reading a lot this past year: Lindsey @ A Bookish Sinister KidSarah K @ The YA Book TravelerRachel @ Beauty and the Bookshelf  
Some discovered booktube channel favorites this year are Sam from Thoughts on TomesSam at Novels and NonsenseGrace from gracewithabookinherface 

2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2015?
 Definitely had fun writing my Six of Crows review!

3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
 I had a big reading slump this year, which resulted in a blogging slump so I didn't have a good discussion post. But a really fun post I loved writing was when I linked Interstellar to some books I had to read after seeing it

4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
 Definitely ALA mid-winter, I got to meet some AWESOME people. Danielle from Love at First Page, Katie from Katie's Book Blog, Ana from Owl Always Be Reading, Leydey from Once Upon a Twilight, Flo from Book Nerds Across America, Lindsey from A Bookish Sinister Kid, Gillian from Writer of Wrongs and a few of you other lovely people at the blogger meet-up dinner that I went to. It was so much fun, I'm sad I'm not going to ALAMW this year :( I miss you guys!!!

5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2015?
The same answer as the last question, my best moment was definitely ALAMW!


6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year?
My reading slump which led to a blogging slump. I went almost 6 months without reading a book last year :/ So challenging to blog without reading as I felt I had nothing to talk about.

7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
 My post last week, Top Ten(ish) 2016 Releases that I'm looking forward to. 

8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
 My small reading wrap-ups. Such as this latest one where I talk about three books that I just finished reading. I like doing them as they are a break from the traditional reviews and I still get to talk about books I've been reading. 

9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
Evie Seo's society 6 store. Everything is gorgeous! Also Gillian's Society 6 store as well, her designs are amazing!

10.  Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
This is a little complicated...remember that reading slump I mentioned I was in for 6 months?! That made me throw all my challenges out the window and cut my GR challenge in thirds. I just started to read what I wanted when I got out of the slump which was a good thing and kind of a challenge in its own. I want to continue reading what I want when I want this year. 

Looking Ahead

1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2015 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2016?
 There's a few books that I wanted to read but didn't get to last year. One book that's been on my radar for far too long that I really need to read is Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers. 

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2016 (non-debut)?
The Winner's Kiss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. 2016 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
 The Girl From Everywhere by Heidi Heiling AND The Love That Split the World by Emily Henry.

 4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2016?
 Since I picked The Winner's Kiss as my most anticipated release, I have to pick The Rose and The Dagger (The Wrath and the Dawn #2) by Renee Ahdieh!

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2016?
This is so general, but I want to read more like myself and blog more like myself. I want this year to be a year of being myself...reading what I want and posting when and what I want to post. 

6. A 2016 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone:
None yet :) I haven't gotten to read any 2016 releases yet.

Comments

  1. Yay, I'm so happy to see Tamora Pierce in your survey! I'm excited for you to read The Immortals Quartet. :D

    I didn't realize just how bad your reading slump was. Eek! I'm glad you've found your way back into reading. I hope 2016 is a year filled with so many great books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! I definitely will be reading The Immortal Quartet this year! I'm really excited to dive more into the world and meet some new characters!

    It was pretty bad. >.< but I'm glad too that I'm reading again. I think I'll always come back to reading, I love it too much. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I read and appreciate each and every comment that I receive, so thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. :)