Review | The Summer of Sloane

Book Info

Title: Summer of Sloane
Author: Erin L. Schneider
Pub Date: May 3rd, 2016
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Source: Checked out from the library
Series: No



What it's about

Warm Hawaiian sun. Lazy Beach Days. Flirty texts with her boyfriend back in Seattle. 

These are the things seventeen-year-old Sloane McIntyre pictured when she imagined the summer she'd be spending at her mom's home in Hawaii with her twin brother, Penn. Instead, after learning an unthinkable secret about her boyfriend, Tyler, and best friend, Mick, all she has is a fractured hand and a completely shattered heart.

Once she arrives in Honolulu, though, Sloane hopes that Hawaii might just be the escape she needs. With beach bonfires, old friends, exotic food, and the wonders of a waterproof cast, there's no reason Sloane shouldn't enjoy her summer. And when she meets Finn McAllister, the handsome son of a hotel magnate who doesn't always play by the rules, she knows he's the perfect distraction from everything that's so wrong back home.

But it turns out a measly ocean isn't nearly enough to stop all the emails, texts, and voicemails from  her ex-boyfriend and ex-best friend, desperate to explain away their betrayal. And as her casual connection with Finn grows deeper, Sloane's carefree summer might not be as easy to find as she'd hoped. Weighing years of history with Mick and Tyler against their deception, and the delicate possibility of new love, Sloane must decide when to forgive, and when to live for herself.
-From Goodreads

My Thoughts

I picked up this one looking for a great summer read. I had heard some good reviews and was looking forward to seeing what these glowing reviews were talking about. Little did I know, I was about to be blown away. 

The story packs a punch right in the beginning. (For those that have read it...you see what I did there;)) Right away I was drawn into Sloane's life. And I felt for her. Erin L. Schneider wrote in such a way that you feel for Sloane. You aren't told what to feel for her, either. You just feel for everything she's going through and wondering where she's going to go next.

I loved that Sloane is a such as strong character. She's a strong female in a many ways. She stands up for herself throughout the whole book and I admired this the most about her. She doesn't take much crap from anyone, though she isn't abrasive about it. She's dedicated and willing to help others. She was a breath of fresh air, and a really great character to follow.

The romance was fantastic. I loved watching the relationship grow at a wonderful pace. I loved getting to know Finn through Sloane's eyes and seeing where they go. The perfect balance of swoons and other relationship aspects.

I thoroughly appreciated the different relationship threading through the novel as well. There are family relationships; the ones between Sloane and her mother, her dad and her, her twin brother and her. There were also friendship dynamics between Sloane and her friends in Hawaii as well as Mick. The variety of relationships and the variety of relationship status's among her friends and family were not only realistic but also varied. To see different relationships grow, falter or just be was something very relatable to read about.

And the setting. I've never been to Hawaii, but I dream of going someday. I absolutely loved reading about the setting and the Hawaiian bits of the novel. I definitely want to read more books set in Hawaii! The Hawaiian setting really gave a beautiful summery feel to the story. 

This is the kind of contemporary that I love. The kind that makes you feel for the characters and what they're going through. The kind that is realistic. The kind that sticks with you. The kind that not only has romance, but has friendship and family relationships as well.

I've been recommending this book all summer and will continue to. It's such a great read for anytime of year. But should you be looking for a great summer read, please pick this one up. I have a feeling you'll enjoy it :)

My Rating

I don't think it will come as a surprise after this gushing review that I rated this one 
5 out of 5 stars

Have you read this one, if so what did you think of it? Have you ever been to Hawaii before or want to go? 


Comments