Book Review | Everything Leads to You

Title: Everything Leads to You
Author: Nina LaCour
Publication: May 15th, 2014
Publisher: Dutton Juvenile
Source: Borrowed from the library (though I wish I would have bought it, its that good!)

Rating: 5 out 5 stars


Synopsis: A wunderkind young set designer, Emi has already started to find her way in the competitive Hollywood film world. 

Emi is a film buff and a true romantic, but her real-life relationships are a mess. She has desperately gone back to the same girl too many times to mention. But then a mysterious letter from a silver screen legend leads Emi to Ava. Ava is unlike anyone Emi has ever met. She has a tumultuous, not-so-glamorous past, and lives an unconventional life. She's enigmatic... She's beautiful. And she is about to expand Emi's understanding of family, acceptance, and true romance. 

Review: This book, quite honestly, blew me out of the water. I have heard so much talk about the cool film aspects that are presented in this book so I knew and was looking forward to that, but this book was so, so, so much more than that. I was a bit hesitant reading it, but I'm so glad that I did because I love this book. 

The writing of this book was fantastic. I devoured this book and didn't want to put it down. The flow and the style of the words just seemed to take the story away and had me very willingly chasing after it. It was brilliant. I'm a fan of LaCour. I can't wait to read some more of her work. 

Emi is one of my favorite contemporary characters that I have ever met. She's just so damn cool. She designs movie sets, she know who she is and she's not ashamed at all. She's passionate about everything she does. I would love for her to be my best friend. Additionally, I loved all of the other characters in this book. I don't think there was a character that I actually disliked. 

The movie aspect of this book is one of my favorite parts. I loved the parts where it's like a behind-the-scenes to movie sets and how movie are made. There's so much more to movies that I've never thought about before. Not only that, but this book make so many connections to movies that I've felt, but never realized. (See one of my favorite quotes below to know what I'm talking about). 

This book is filled with fantastic quotes, but I wanted to share a few with you guys because I love these particular quotes in abundance. 


"We love films because they make us feel something. They speak to our desires, which are never small. They allow us to escape and to dream and to gaze into eyes that are impossibly beautiful and huge. They fill us with longing.
But also.
They tell us to remember; they remind us of life. Remember, they say, how much it hurts to have your heart broken. Remember about death and suffering and the complexities of living. Remember what it is like to love someone. Remember how it is to be loved. Remember what you feel in the moment. Remember this. Remember this."

and another favorite quote...

"As much as I had wanted a love story out of a movie, I know now that movies can only hope to capture this kind of love."

ahhhh, this book is so good. If you haven't caught my drift yet, know that I highly recommend this book. I hope it will surprise you, in the best way, as it did for me. PS. This is a DIVERSE BOOK, too :D


Have you read this one and if so, what did you think of it? What did you think of the behind-the-scenes movie aspects of the book? What are some good diverse books that you've read lately?   




Comments