Book Review | Amy and Roger's Epic Detour

Title: Amy and Roger's Epic Detour
Author: Morgan Matson
Publication: May 4th, 2010
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Source: Bought

Rating: 4.5 out 5 stars


Synopsis: Amy Curry is not looking forward to her summer. Her mother decided to move across the country and now it's Amy's responsibility to get their car from California to Connecticut. The only problem is, since her father died in a car accident, she isn't read to get behind the wheel. Enter Roger. An old family friend, he also has to make the cross-country trip - and has plenty of baggage of his own. The road home may be unfamiliar - especially with their friendship venturing into uncharted territory - but together, Amy and Roger will figure out how to map their way.


Review: This book had me at road trip. Yes, yes, I LOVE road trip books. Therefore a major plus for me was the road trip in this book. It was even more awesome because I think that Morgan Matson has taken the exact road trip, so they places they go are all legit. I love the way the story was broken up with pictures of receipts and playlists for the songs they listen to. Okay, I'm getting a little carried away with the great things about this book, let me organize my thoughts into some coherent paragraphs.

So, the characters. Amy was an interesting character to me. I related to her on most levels, but there were some small points where I got a tad (just a tad!) annoyed with her. I really enjoyed watching her grow out of her shell and try new things. She kept surprising me throughout the book (as she surprised herself) and her spontaneous decisions made the book even more intriguing than it already was. 
Now Roger. I really enjoyed Roger. Like a lot. I love reading about genuine good guys, and Roger is one of them. His compatibility with Amy is through the roof and I loved every minute of their interactions together.

The story. I know I already stated my love for road trip stories and this is very much a wonderful road trip story, but there is so much more to it than that. This is a story about loss. About family. About relationships. About finding yourself. There is so many depths to this story that made it seem realistic to me, a story about real-life people. 

Overall, this book is all things lovely and wonderful. I would highly recommend this as a summer read and for those that love a good road trip book. I have now read all of Morgan Matson's books and can honestly say I will buy and read anything she writes. Check out my reviews for Second Chance Summer and Since You've Been Gone to find out more about her amazing books. 

Have you read this one and if so, what did you think of it? Have you read any other Morgan Matson books? What are your favorite road trip books?    




Comments