Review: Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson

Title: Second Chance Summer
Author: Morgan Matson
Publication: May 8th, 2012
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's
Source: Borrowed from the library

Rating: 4 out 5 stars


Synopsis: Taylor Edwards' family might not be the closest-knit - everyone is a little too busy and overscheduled - but for the most part, they get along just fine. Then Taylor's dad gets devastating news, and her parents decide that the family will spend one last summer all together at their old lake house in the Pocono Mountains.


Crammed in a place much smaller and more rustic than they are used to, they begin to get to know eacah other again. And Taylor discovers that the people she thought she had left behind haven't actually gone anywhere. Her former best friend is still around, as is her first boyfriend...and he's much cuter at seventeen than he was at twelve. 

As the summer progresses and the Edwards become more of a family, they're more aware than ever that they're battling a ticking clock. Sometimes, though, there is just enough time to get a second chance - with family, with friends, and with love.


Review: This book is exactly what it implies, a summer read, and it is a perfect one to read in the summer. I enjoyed this book in more ways than one. I loved the reading style, Matson can tell a great story in a way that makes you want to keep reading, not only to find out what happens next, but to keep reading her writing about it. I was a little hesitant about the story at first and I had seen mixed reviews on this book, but I am so glad I read this one. The story was contemporary and enjoyable.
I thought the characters in the story were enjoyable to follow, and felt engrossed into their lives. The love story and friendship in the story is sweet and caring that will leave you with a smile on your face. The family is loyal, strong and heartbreakingly wonderful that will leave you with a tear in your eye. 
Overall I would recommend Second Chance Summer as a great summer read. I thoroughly enjoyed this one and I look forward to reading more of Matson's work. I've heard many great things about her book, Amy and Roger's Epic Detour, which I have on my shelf and I cannot wait to read! I hope that I enjoy that one as much as I enjoyed Second Chance Summer. I hope you guys enjoy this one, too!


Have you read this one? What did you think? What are some of your favorite summer reads so far this year?


Comments