1. When I buy books, I'm supporting authors and the publishing industry. The more authors sell, the more likely they get the opportunity to write more. The more books sell, the more that are made and continue to come out. I love being a part of the success of a book.
2. When I buy books, I'm supporting bookstores, both "big" and local. I have shopped at both "big" bookstores, mainly Barnes & Noble, as well some of my local bookstores (I've visited all the ones I can find around the region that I live). More than anything, I don't want bookstores to disappear - I love simply being in them (the smells, the people, the books that surround you and welcome you in). I have no problem buying books through them to see them continue to thrive, or at least survive.
3. When I buy books, I'm able to make the book my own. With my own books, I'm able to mark my favorite passages or moments(with sticky notes), and keep them in the book. While I take good care of my books, when they're my own, I don't worry so much about carrying them around in my purse, or carrying them with me around the house, as I tend to do.
4. When I buy books, I'm able to revisit the story whenever I would like. As I mentioned already, I like to mark my favorite moments or passages in a book with sticky notes. When I own the book, I can re-visit my favorite moments or quotes anytime I would like.
5. When I buy books, I'm instantly in a better mood and mindset. Books make me incredibly happy, to which, I'm sure you if you're reading this, you can relate:). The whole experience of buying books is always a pleasurable one to me. Going into the bookstore, browsing through the books, picking out one or two(maybe more if I'm lucky), buying them, and coming home to dive into them is something I would do every day if I could. Alternatively, buying books online has a similar feeling, but more so when you receive the books in the mail.
6. I buy books, simply because I love to. For all the reasons above and some I've probably even forgotten, it's a great joy to me when I get to buy books. If I could put all of my money towards books, I would. Unfortunantely that is something that is not going to happen. The only time I get to buy books are around holidays or my birthday when I get gift cards or money. Maybe part of my appreciation comes from only buying books a few times a year. Who knows. But what I do know is one of the best feelings to me is giving a book or books a good, loving home.