Book Review | Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry

Title: Pushing the Limits
Author: Katie McGarry
Publication: July 31st, 2012
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Source: Bought it

Rating: 4 out 5 stars


Synopsis: No one knows what happened the night that Echo Emerson went from popular girl with jock boyfriend to gossiped-about outsider with "freaky" scars on her arms. Even Echo can't remember the whole truth of that horrible night. All she knows is that she wants everything to go back to normal. 

But when Noah Hutchins, the smoking-hot, girl-using loner in the black leather jacket, explodes into her life with his tough attitude and surprising understanding, Echo's world shifts in ways she could never have imagined. They should have nothing in common. And with the secrets the both keep, being together is pretty much impossible. 

Yet the crazy attraction between them refuses to go away. And Echo has to ask herself just how far they can push the limits and what she'll risk for the one guy who may teach her how to love again. 

Review: I was pretty hesitant about picking up this book. I am hesitant to pick up romance novels, because I feel like I'm not going to like them but they usually end up surprising me. Pushing the Limits was no exception - it surprised me with its depth and meaningful characters.

I struggled a tab bit with the characters, I felt that they were a little had a little too much angst for me at times. I found myself saying in my head "come on...really?", "oh, get over it", and "oh boy, here we go again". However, while it was irritating, it was eerily close to how teenagers act and I appreciated the realness of the characters here. I also appreciated their growth throughout the novel, by the end of the novel both characters grow to become strong, independent and mature people. 

The story kept me going, I wanted to know what was going to happen next. There were minor cheesy points but it's the ones that you smile about. I have heard that this series only gets better and I can't wait to read the other books in this series. Speaking of the other books, I loved Beth and Isaiah, especially Isaiah. The next books in the series follow each of them and I can't wait to get more of their stories!

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. It wasn't a fluffy or quick read, but it kept me entertained. If you're a fan of contemporary or just looking to check out contemporary, I would recommend this book. I am looking forward to continuing this series. 


Have you read this one and if so, what did you think of it? Did you have a favorite scene of the book? Have you continued the series and if so, do you think it gets better with each book - or which book is your favorite so far?  




Comments