End of the Year Book Survey (2013)!



best books 2013 end of year survey



1. Best Book You Read in 2013?

I am going to have to cheat a bit on this one, it's just too hard to pick one book! Therefore, I'm going to divide it up by genre.

Contemporary YA - Just One Day and Just One Year by Gayle Forman

Dystopian/Post-Apocalytic - Shatter Me and Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi

Historical Fiction - The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey

Paranormal - The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black or The Tiger's Curse series by Colleen Houck

Science Fiction -  The Fifth Wave by Rick Yancey or Cinder, Scarlet and Cress (The Lunar Chronicles) by Marissa Meyer

Fantasy - Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas


2. Book you were excited about & thought you were going to love more but didn't

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater - I know that a ton of people rave about this book and I really wanted to be a part of that group - I just didn't get it. I want to sit down with someone that loves this book and have a conversation about. I think I could love it if I could figure out what is going on within it. 

3. Most surprising (in a good way) book of 2013!

Just One Day by Gayle Forman - I didn't like If I Stay by Gayle Forman and was very hesitant to read another one of her books. I'm so glad I decided to give this book a chance, it is now one of my favorite books of all time!

4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommend to people most in 2013?

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi as well as Just One Day by Gayle Forman

5. Best series you discovered in 2013?

Divergent, Insurgent and Allegiant by Veronica Roth - I finally read Divergent this year and just finished with Allegiant yesterday. I have not recovered yet..

6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?

Easy, peasy, Rainbow Rowell all the way. I absolutely loved all of her work that I've read so far, Eleanor & Park and Fangirl.

7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?

Books that involve cancer always intimidate me and I procrastinate reading them because I know they will make me cry. I am so glad that I gave The Fault in Our Stars by John Green a read. A beautifully written book for a beautiful story. 

8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?

Insurgent by Veronica Roth. This book was so fast-paced and action packed that I couldn't put it down.

9. Book you read in 2013 that you are most likely to re-read next year?

Just One Day and Just One Year by Gayle Forman. I'm sorry to be repetitive but these books were just so amazing, please read them if you haven't already :)

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?


Incarnate (Newsoul, #1)

11. Most memorable character in 2013?

Celaena Sardothien from Throne of Glass or The Darkling from Shadow & Bone or Ruby from The Darkest Minds.


12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi. Her writing is poetic and so beautiful, I can't get enough of it. 


13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013?

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell. I read this book a few months ago and still think about it often.

14. Book you can't believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read?

Divergent.

15. Favorite passage/quote from a book you read in 2013?

We are born in one day. We die in one day. We can change in one day. And we can fall in love in one day. Anything can happen in just one day. -Gayle Forman, Just One Day


16. Shortest & Longest book you read in 2013?

Longest - Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick - 640 pages
Shortest - The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald - 180 pages

17. Book that had a scene in it that had you reeling and dying to talk to somebody about it?

OH, there are quite a few of these. ummm, the last half of Clockwork Princess, the ending of Allegiant, Chapter 62 of Unravel Me, and The Fault in Our Stars.

18. Favorite relationship from a book you read in 2013?

This is a hard one to answer and I have so many, but one that hasn't been mentioned yet is Cath and Levi from Fangirl.

19. Favorite book you read in 2013 from an author you've read previously

Delirium by Lauren Oliver. 

20. Best book you read in 2013 that you read based SOLELY on a recommendation from somebody else:

Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles.

21. Genre you read most from in 2013?

hmm, I'm not sure since I usually jump around genres. Probably an equal tie between dystopian and fantasy. 

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?

Warner in Unravel Me. Levi in Fangirl. Choal in Throne of Glass.

23. Best 2013 debut you read?

Pivot Point by Kasie West

24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?

The Fifth Wave by Rick Yancey. It was like a movie playing out in my head.

25. Book that was the most fun to read in 2013?

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins. 

26. Book that made you cry or nearly cry in 2013?

Allegiant by Veronica Roth had a steady tear flow for me. As well as The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.

27. Book you read in 2013 that you think got overlooked this year or when it came out?

Defiance by C.J Redwine. Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saentz. Crave by Melissa Darnell. 








Comments