Monday Bookish Confession #3


This week my confession is:


Let me explain, this does not apply to ALL books, but it does apply to a majority. I eventually read all the books that I have recommendations for, but when a book is uber-popular, I usually procrastinate reading it. I am scared that I won't enjoy it as much as everyone around me among other similar reasons. 
Here are examples of books that I put off reading because of the hype:

Divergent by Veronica Roth  
I first heard about this book way back when I read the Hunger Games and it was being called the next Hunger Games or for fans of the Hunger Games and everyone was raving about how it was as good as the Hunger Games. These phrases, "the next _____" or "for fans of _____" turn me off from a book because I feel that I have high/low expectations of the books just based on these phrases and I want to give every book it's own unique chance without comparing it to something else. When I read Divergent, years after I read the Hunger Games, I enjoyed Divergent as it's own book rather than a book that's similar to the Hunger Games. I ended up LOVING this book and I don't know if I would have had I read it right after I finished the Hunger Games.

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
I picked this book up after I fell in love with the Infernal Devices trilogy. I was nervous about reading CoB because I didn't know if I would like it as much as everyone else. I was also scared I wouldn't like it as much as I loved the Infernal Devices trilogy. I'm sad to admit that I was a tad disappointed with this one. I didn't love it as much as I love the Infernal Devices trilogy. However, I've heard that the series gets better, so I have plans to continue with the series. I want to start by re-reading this book before I see the movie. 

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
I have not heard a bad thing about this book....EVER. I was extremely nervous when I picked this one because of the tremendous amount of hype that came within those pages. I get extra nervous when I read stories that I know will make me cry. I don't think that I would have read this book if it weren't for the endless recommendations. I had to pick it up and see what the rave was about and I wasn't disappointed. This one was a double whammy that I liked a lot more than I thought I would.


What have I learned after reading these books and enjoying them:
  • Just because a book is overhyped, doesn't mean that I won't like it.
  • I have enough evidence here to show that I do enjoy the books just as much as everyone else.
  • If I don't enjoy the book as much as everyone else, that's normal...and good to have a (healthy) differing opinion. 
I think I'm getting better at reading hyped books while they are still popular. It's worth it to join into the fun and excitement of the books while everyone else is loving them! 

How do you guys feel about overhyped books? Do you ever get nervous about reading a book that has been recommended to you? Are there some books that you liked a lot more than you thought you would and never would have read the book without the hyp?




Comments

  1. Agreed! I haven't read Eleanor & Park yet because of all the hype and also The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare.

    I once read David Levithan's Every Day because of all the hype surrounding it and in the end, I didn't like it at all. So yeah, I have had negative experiences with reading hyped up books.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I read and appreciate each and every comment that I receive, so thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. :)