Review | Love, Lies and Spies (ARC)

Title: Love, Lies and Spies
Author: Cindy Anstey
Publication: April 19th, 2016
Publisher: Swoon Reads
Source: Book trade with Sarah from What Sarah Read - Thank you Sarah!!
Series: Not that I'm aware of (though I wish there was more coming!)

Rating: 4 out 5 stars



Synopsis: Juliana Telford is not your average nineteenth-century young lady. She's much more interested in researching ladybugs than marriage, fashionable dresses, or dances. So when her father sends her to London for a season, she's determined not to form any attachments. Instead, she plans to secretly publish their research.

Spencer Northam is not the average young gentleman of leisure he appears. He is actually a spy for the War Office, and is more focused on acing his first mission than meeting eligible ladies. Fortunately, Juliana feels the same, and they agree to pretend to fall for each other. Spencer can finally focus, until he is tasked with observing Juliana's traveling companions...and Juliana herself.

-From Goodreads


Review: As a fan of Jane Austen, I was very excited to get into this book! The pitch I heard was Jane Austen meets spies and as a fan of both of those, this became one of my most anticipated releases of the year...and it didn't disappoint. 

I loved the characters in the novel. It was more character driven than plot driven, much like Jane Austen's novels are, so it was a bit slow at parts - but not unbearably slow! I loved the headstrong determination of Juliana and her drive to achieve the goals she set for herself, both personal and professional (especially because "professional" goals were not appropriate for her to have). I loved seeing her drive to succeed for herself and her lack of care of what others think. Spencer was a great love interest as well. Not broody, but intelligent and a bit secretive (not in a bad way) made him quite swoony. The interactions between Spencer and Juliana were my favorite parts of the book, I couldn't get enough of them! 

I have to mention the writing and how impressed I was with it. The writing was very classical, but easy to read. It was Jane Austen in modern language. It really made it feel like it was set in a Jane Austen-type setting with Jane Austen-type characters. I really appreciated the writing!

The plot of this story really comes in at the end when things start happening. At this point I was so involved in what was happening between Juliana and Spencer that I was a bit surprised by all the action. This book delivers the action along with the swoons. I loved every minute of it! I haven't found a title that describes the book so accurately as it does with Love, Lies and Spies. I truly enjoyed this quick and light-hearted read!


Have you read this one and if so, what did you think of it? What do you think about mixing Jane Austen-type story with spies? Also, I'm wondering if you have a favorite Jane Austen story and if so, what is it?




Comments