Review | Dark Triumph by Robin LaFevers

Title: Dark Triumph
Author: Robin LaFevers
Publication: April 2nd, 2013
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Source: Bought it
Series: Yes, His Fair Assassin series, Book Two

Rating: 5 out 5 stars



Synopsis: When Sybella arrived at the doorstep of St Mortain half mad with grief and despair, the convent were only too happy to offer her refuge - but at a price. The sisters of this convent serve Death, and with Sybille naturally skilled in both the arts of death and seduction, she could become one of their most dangerous weapons.

But her assassin's skill are little comfort when the convent returns her to the life that nearly drove her mad. Her father's rage and brutality are terrifying, and her brother's love is equally monstrous. But when Sybella discovers an unexpected ally she discovers that a daughter of Death may find something other than vengeance to life for...

-From Goodreads


Review: Sybella is such a mystery in Grave Mercy that I was so excited to get to her story and learn more about her. I didn't know what to expect, for I had absolutely no guesses as to what could have made her what she is. And what I found... well.. this book basically blew me away. 

Sybella is such an interesting character and one that I really grew to love. She has this shell that it takes awhile to get into but when she opens up, she opens up with her whole heart. She had so many layers and depth to her that I really enjoyed getting to know more about her as the story went on and getting to learn her layer by layer was one of my favorite aspects of the story. 

I'm not going to mention the love interest, because I feel like it's a pleasant surprise who it is and it really adds to the story. But I will say that I was so happy to get to see this character come back again. And he is such a fantastic love interest, especially for Sybella. I loved seeing those two together and what they bring to the other one and how they lifted each other up. On top of everything, this book was also a fantastic love story.

I can't forget to mention the story itself. I was on edge throughout the whole book. LaFevers really knows how to weave an intense, deep, yet fantastic story. I didn't want to put this book down. Not only did I have to know what happened next for Sybella and the love interest, but I also had to know where the story was going. I think LaFevers did such a fantastic job continuing the over-arcing story from Grave Mercy into this story with very little confusion. It was easy to fall back into the court politics that began in Grave Mercy.

This is definitely my favorite book of the series. It's one of those books that you can't quite get out the right words to say exactly how much you loved it or why. But I loved it so, SO much and I can't wait to revisit this one someday.


Have you read this one and if so, what did you think of it? What did you think of Sybella's world? What about the romance, the assassins or any favorite (or not-so-favorite) aspects of Dark Triumph?




Comments

  1. I know we've already talked about this, so I'm just going to repeat how much I love the ship. :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I read and appreciate each and every comment that I receive, so thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. :)