Review: P.S. I Still Love You

Title: P.S. I Still Love You
Author: Jenny Han
Publication: May 26th, 2015
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Source: Bought it
Series: Yes, this is book #2.

Rating: 4.5 out 5 stars


Warning: Spoilers ahead for the first book in the series, To All the Boys I've Loved Before. Don't go any further if you wish not to be spoiled on the first book.

Synopsis: Lara Jean didn't expect to really fall for Peter. She and Peter were just pretending. Except suddenly they weren't. Now Lara Jean is more confused than ever. When another boy from her past returns to her life, Lara Jean's feelings for him return too. Can a girl be in love with two boys at once?

-From Goodreads


Review: I really enjoyed the first book in this series and I was hoping that this one was going to be just as good. This book carried on a few of the elements of the first book that I really enjoyed, such as the family dynamic. I LOVE the focus on family that runs through the first story, and for those of you that love that too, don't worry, it continues on in this second book. 

I have two sisters, like Lara Jean, so I really related to her on that level as well as the other sisters. I'm the oldest in real life, so it was really cool to get a different perspective from the middle sister. I was the first to move out and go off to college, so seeing how the sisters still at home dealt with that during the book gave me some insight as to how my sisters may have felt. 

The story of this one takes a bit of a turn than what I thought it would. I didn't see it becoming so realistic of a relationship, especially Lara Jean and Peter's relationship. It went in a totally different direction than I thought it would, but it all felt, as I was reading, like that's what should be happening. The introduction of a new love interest was welcomed on my end since I wasn't completely on board with Peter from the first book. But I still feel like everything ended as it should, even though the ending felt a bit rushed. 

I loved watching Lara Jean grow throughout the book as well. And seeing the other characters growing as well. She seemed more mature to me in this book. Though there were still a few moments where it seemed she was a bit immature, her character grew up since book one and I really liked seeing that. I was surprised at the realistic aspects that made me appreciate the book even more. The realistic way that Lara Jean and the characters have grown up and forward paired along with the relationships that continue or develop along the way all felt natural to me. 

There is a bit of a cliffhanger at the end that has me wondering if there is going to be another book... Do you think there will be another book?



Have you read this one and if so, what did you think of it? What did you think of the new love interest? What were some of your favorite aspects of this second book? 




Comments

  1. I loved the first book, so I was really nervous to start this one. I gave it 5 stars, but I'm still somewhat conflicted about it. I really liked John, and in reality I think he was much better for Lara Jean than Peter (apparently I had strong enough feelings about this that I actually wrote a mini review on Goodreads!). I still think her relationship with Peter is a bit unhealthy and certainly unbalanced, and I'm not sure I believe that he and Genevieve are 100% over. Since it's fiction, though, I was happy with how it ended. Peter and Lara Jean really are adorable together. I don't think there will be another book, but in my head, Lara Jean and Peter break up after high school, and later in college she reconnects with John and they live happily ever after. :D

    As always, the sister interactions were fascinating to me as an only child, haha. I LOVE positive sibling relationships in books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes!! I agree, there is something a bit off about Lara Jean and Peter's relationship...maybe he isn't really over Genevieve, or Lara Jean just gives more effort because that's the side we see, I'm not sure exactly what it is but I agree with you. I did like John for her too but the way the events played out seemed right, I'm not quite sure how that happened but you're right, Peter and Lara Jean are pretty adorable together and just seem to fit right. Ohhhh!!!! I like your version of the ending!! Maybe we can hope that there will be another book about them after high school and this happens ;)

    Yes! Positive sibling and family relationships in books are something I love seeing and reading about too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I read and appreciate each and every comment that I receive, so thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. :)