Finishing up a series and some other books I read in the last month of 2014...

I can't believe another year has passed by! I had a good reading month last month and I enjoyed every bit of it. With the semester ending last month, it freed up some time for reading - YEESSS! So here's the books that I read to round out the end of my year.

These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner. Rated 4.5 stars. This one was SO much more than I thought it would be. I enjoyed this book immensely!

Quintana of Charyn by Melina Marchetta. Rated 5 stars (of course). Such a good series. Highly, Highly recommend this series.

Winter town by Stephen Emond. Rated 2 stars. This was a bit of a disappointment to me. I just found it to be lacking something. I liked the drawings in it but not so much the story or characters.

Attachments by Rainbow Rowell. Rated 5 stars (OF COURSE). I LOVE this book. so much. What a fantastic story. This is up there among my other favorite Rainbow Rowell books and might even be my favorite (squee!)

Dare You To by Katie McGarry. Rated 5 stars. This book was so much more than I thought it would be. I wasn't blown away by Pushing the Limits, in fact, I was a bit disappointed with it so I didn't expect much going into this book. It was SO GOOD though. The romance and characters were wonderful and I really enjoyed reading about Beth and Ryan's story.

The Ice Dragon by George RR Martin. Rated 3.5 stars. I liked this one but it wasn't all I thought it was going to be. I do see myself reading this story to my son when he gets older, as it was a lovely children's story.

Through the Woods by Emily Carroll. Rated 5 stars. This book was not what I thought it was going to be, but it was so much better. It's a graphic novel of short stories. They're rather spooky stories making this a perfect Halloween read. I think I might have to re-read this one next Halloween.

Jane, the Fox, & Me by Fanny Britt. Rated 4.5 stars. This book was a lovely, lovely read. I loved the artwork. The story was so sweet. This graphic novel was so charming, I really enjoyed it.

The Retribution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin. Rated 3.5 stars. I am so glad that I ended another series before the year ended and this one was a good one to find out what happens. I've been dying to know how this series was going to end because I can never tell what's going to happen next when reading these books. I wasn't disappointed in this, but it wasn't all that great to me either...it was just okay. I'm not sure what to think of the ending either, it seems a bit strange for how the rest of the books went..strange as in it wasn't crazy enough, like things ended a little to happily resolved that seemed out of place in the story that's been crafted with the past two books.

My True Love Gave to Me edited by Stephanie Perkins. Rated 3 stars (calculated from an average of the stories). Individual story ratings were:

Midnights by Rainbow Rowell - 5/5 stars. Can't help but fall in love with everything that Rainbow writes. 
The Lady and the Fox by Kelly Link - 3/5 stars. I actually really liked this one. I think the magical elements were really cool and I liked the romance and mystery of it. 
Angels in the Snow by Matt de la Pena - 2/5 stars. This story was quite boring for me, however the romance was cute in it. 
Polaris is Where You'll Find Me by Jenny Han - 2/5 stars. I couldn't really get into this one. I love Jenny Han's stories, but something about this one didn't quite get me on board. 
It's a Yuletide Miracle, Charlie Brown by Stephanie Perkins - 5/5 stars. Yes. I freakin loved this story. SO SO GOOD. 
Your Temporary Santa by David Levithan - 4/5 stars. This was such a cute story, one of the more deeper love stories in the book. 
Krampuslauf by Holly Black - 1/5 stars. I had a hard time getting through this one. It was a bit strange and I'm not sure if I loved that or hated it. 
What the Hell Have You Done, Sophie Roth? by Gayle Forman - 4.5/5 stars. This was a cute one. I was smiling when I finished it. 
Beer Buckets and Baby Jesus by Myra McIntire - 2/5 stars. 
I didn't really connect with this one, I don't know exactly what it was about it. Maybe the characters?
Welcome to Christmas, CA by Kiersten White - 3/5 stars. 
This one was cute and had a tiny bit of magical realism (I think?). I really liked this one. 
Star of Bethlehem by Ally Carter - 3.5/5 stars.
This one was a bit off for me, but really funny. I enjoyed it quite a bit more by the end than I thought I would have. 
The Girl Who Woke the Dreamer by Laini Taylor - 2/5 stars.
I really wanted to like this story and I was looking into dipping my toes into Laini's work, but this one was hard for me to get into. I think I needed more from this one.

Amulet Vol 1: The Stone Keeper AND Amulet, Vol 2: The Stonekeeper's Curse by Kazu Kibuishi. Rated both 5 stars. I've heard some hype about this series but it still surprised me with how much I enjoyed it. The artwork is STUNNING. And I love the unique story. 

I have a couple other books that I started this month that I will have to finish up this month since I've picked up and started reading like 7 books :/ Looking forward to starting a new year of reading. New Year, New good books to find :D

Comments