Book Review | Snow Like Ashes

Title: Snow Like Ashes
Author: Sara Raasch
Publication: October 14th, 2014
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Source: Borrowed an ARC copy (Thanks Rachel!)
Series: Yes! This is the 1st book.

Rating: 5 out 5 stars


Synopsis: A heartbroken girl. A fierce warrior. A hero in the making. 

Sixteen years ago the Kingdom of Winter was conquered and its citizens enslaved, leaving them without magic or a monarch. Now, the Winterians' only hope for freedom is the eight survivors who managed to escape, and who have been waiting for the opportunity to steal back Winter's magic and rebuild the kingdom ever since.

Orphaned as an infant during Winter's defeat, Meira has lived her whole life as a refugee, raised by the Winterians' general, Sir. Training to be a warrior - and desperately in love with her best friend, and future king, Mather - she would do anything to help her kingdom rise to power again.

So when scouts discover the location of the ancient locket that can restore Winter's magic, Meira decides to go after it herself. Finally, she's scaling towers, fighting enemy soldiers, and serving her kingdom just as she's always dreamed she would. But the mission doesn't go as planned, and Meira soon finds herself thrust into a world of evil magic and dangerous politics - and ultimately comes to realize that her destiny is not, never has been, her own. 


Review: THIS BOOK. IS AMAZING. One of my favorite books of the year so far! I devoured it in one day, didn't want it to end and nearly cried when it ended and I couldn't start reading the next one immediately. 

The writing was beautiful, the world was interesting and unlike anything I've read before. I really enjoyed reading about the rebel cause, and from the point of view of a group of people that have been refugees for most, if not all, of their lives. I also loved the magical elements within this story! And kudos to the way this society values females to run the kingdom!

Meira is a fantastic female MC. She's strong-willed and hard-headed which can be admirable qualities. With Meira, at times her stubbornness made me frustrated with her. However, but the end of the this book I FREAKING LOVED HER. She grows as the book goes on and I can't wait to watch her grow more, especially after that twist at the end (which I had no idea was coming, and literally made my draw drop).

A boy that smells like worn book pages. Can I have one? I didn't entirely see a love triangle in this book. I think it started to form as the book went on and I'm worried about it taking on life in the next book, or for the rest of the series. Because, well, both of the guys are wonderful. I might have to say that I love Theron a little bit more, because he smells like worn book pages (and he's pretty awesome, too). 

I highly, highly recommend this one. Please, friends, check this one out anyway you can (legally of course). I don't think you'll be disappointed in what you find. For now, I'm going to be counting down the day until I can get my hands on the next book in the series. 


Have you read this one and if so, what did you think of it? What did you think about the world? Which boy caught your eye? Did you see that twist coming in the end?? 




Comments