Book Review | The Demon King

Title: The Demon King
Author: Cinda Williams Chima
Publication: October 6th, 2009
Publisher: Hyperion Books
Source: Bought it
Series: Yes! This is the 1st book.

Rating: 5 out 5 stars


Synopsis: Times are hard in the mountain city of Fellsmarch. Reformed thief Han Alister will do almost anything to eke out a living for his family. The only thing of value he has is something he can't sell - the thick silver cuffs he's worn since birth. They're clearly magicked - as he grows, they grow, and he's never been able to get them off. 

One day, Han and his clan friend, Dancer, confront three young wizards setting fire to the sacred mountain of Hanalea. Han takes an amulet from Micah Bayar, son of the High Wizard, to keep him from using it against them. Soon Han learns that the amulet has an evil history - it once belonged to the Demon King, the wizard who nearly destroyed the world a millennium ago. With a magical piece that powerful at stake, Han knows that the Bayars will stop at nothing to get it back. 

Meanwhile, Raisa ana'Marianna, princess heir of the Fells, has her own battles to fight. She's just returned to court after three years of freedom in the mountains - riding, hunting, and working the famous clan markets. Raise wants to be more than an ornament in a glittering cage. She aspires to be like Hanalea - the legendary warrior queen who killed the Demon King and saved the world. But her mother has other plans for her - including marriage to a suitor who goes against everything the queendom stands for. 

The Seven Realms tremble when the lives of Hans and Raisa collide, fanning the flames of the smoldering war between clans and wizards. 


Review: This is my first Cinda Williams Chima book! I can't believe it took me so long to read one of her books.. but I'm so glad I finally picked this one up. 

I fell into a bit of a reading slump after I started this one, but it wasn't this book that did it. Don't get me wrong, I loved this book. a ton. but I think I would have loved it a little bit more if I didn't end up putting it down for almost a month right in the middle of the action. This book is filled with action and it never stops so it was easy to get right back into the story. 

I love the writing style of Cinda Willaims Chima's writing. It's so eloquent and once I picked the book up again after that break, I had to keep reading. I had a hard time putting it down. The world in this book is fantastic! I love the magic, the political system, the kingdom, everything. I can't wait to learn more about the world as I continue in the series. 

The characters were all perfectly wonderful! Hans was one of my favorites because he always kept me on my toes. I never knew what he was going to do next. And Raisa was a fantastic female character, I loved that she has strength to stand up for herself and a curious aspect to her that made her actions interesting throughout the story. 

If you like fantasy, I highly recommend this one to you! If you are looking to get started with a new series, look into this one, you might really enjoy it!


Have you read this one and if so, what did you think of it? Have you continued the series? What other Cinda Willaims Chima books do you recommend? 




Comments

  1. I've not heard of this one, but it sounds cool! The cover is beautiful, too!
    Kristen @ One Chapter Ahead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree on how beautiful this cover is!! :DD

      Delete

Post a Comment

I read and appreciate each and every comment that I receive, so thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. :)