Book Review | Unspoken

Title: Unspoken
Author: Sarah Rees Brennan
Publication: September 11th, 2012
Publisher: Random House Books for Young Readers
Source: Borrowed from the Library

Rating: 3.5/4 out 5 stars


Synopsis: Kami Glass loves someone she's never met... a boy she's talked to in her head ever since she was born. She wasn't silent about her imaginary friend during her childhood, and is thus a bit of an outsider in her sleepy English town of Sorry-in-the-Vale. Still, Kami hasn't suffered too much from not fitting in. She has a best friend, runs the school newspaper, and is only occasionally caught talking to herself. Her life is in order, just the way she likes it, despite the voice in her head. 

But all that changes when the Lynburns return.

The Lynburn family has owned the spectacular and sinister manor that overlooks Sorry-in-the-Vale for centuries. The mysterious twin sisters who abandoned their ancestral home a generation ago are back, align with their teenage sons, Jared and Ash, one of whom is eerily familiar to Kami. Kami is not one to shy away from the unknown - in fact, she's determined to find answers for all the questions Sorry-in-the-Vale is suddenly posing. Who is responsible for the bloody deeds in the depths of the woods? What is her own mother hiding? And now that her imaginary friend has become a real boy, does she still love him? Does she hate him? Can she trust him?


Review: I've heard nothing but good things about this book and I think I went in with expectations a little too high. It's not that I didn't like this book, I actually really enjoyed it, but I didn't fall completely in love with it. 

One thing I kept hearing about this book is that the main character, Kami, is a pretty kick-ass female. I would say this definitely rings true throughout this story. She's a character that stands up for herself, and fights for what she wants. She's loyal, honest and very sensible, I love her! As for her relationship with Jared, I love the dynamic couple that they make! I am really excite to see where their relationship goes in the next book. 

This book was really unique, not only with the awesome main character, Kami, but also with the tone and the world of this book. The local small town that holds such mystery and intrigue sucked me in and kept me hooked and wanting more when the book ended. I can see what makes this book/series so addicting! 

I'm having a hard time deciding on a rating for this book, I keep bouncing back and forth between 3.5 and 4. The characters and the world were my favorite parts of the book but there were certain moments where I felt the story slowed down a bit for me. There were also moments that I thought things would solve or happen a little too conveniently to be realistic. While I really enjoyed this book, it didn't blow me away...I can't decide my rating but what I do know if that this book is worth checking out and giving a read.  

If you're looking for a fun, addicting read, I recommend this one! If you want something with an interesting, lovely, hauntingly mysterious world with some fantastic characters, I don't think you'd regret picking this one up! I just picked up the next one from the library and I have a feeling it's going to be a perfect read for the fall. 


Have you read this one and if so, what did you think of it? What was one of your favorite(or disliked) aspects of this book? What is the last fun book that you've read and enjoyed lately?




Comments