Book Review | Love, Rosie

Title: Love, Rosie
Author: Cecelia Ahern
Publication: December 1st, 2006
Publisher: Hyperion
Source: Borrowed from the Library

Rating: 5 out 5 stars


Synopsis: Sometimes you have to look at life in a whole new way...

Rosie and Alex are destined for one another, and everyone seems to know it but them. Best friends since childhood, their relationship gets closer by the day, until Alex gets the news that his family is leaving Dublin and moving to Boston. At 17, Rosie and Alex have just started to see each other in a more romantic light. Devastated, the two make plans for Rosie to apply to colleges in the U.S.

She gets into Boston University, Alex gets into Harvard, and everything is falling into place, when on the eve of her departure, Rosie gets news that will change their lives forever: She's pregnant by a boy she'd gone out with while on rebound from Alex.

Her dreams for college, Alex, and a glamorous career dashed, Rosie stays in Dublin to become a single mother, while Alex pursues a medical career and a new love in Boston. But destiny is a funny thing, and a trail of missed opportunities, Alex and Rosie find out that fate isn't done with them yet.

Review: I'm going to try to form some coherent thoughts for this review. I LOVE THIS BOOK. Sorry, that just slipped straight from my brain through my fingers. But seriously, this book left a huge impression on me. It had so many aspects, I was enthralled with Alex and Rosie's story from the very beginning. I'm getting a little ahead of myself. Let's talk about why I picked this book up in the first place. Well, I happened to have seen the trailer for this movie. Yup, this book is being made into a movie. Here's the trailer, 





Did you see that was Sam Claflin?! And Lily Collins! Yup, after watching the trailer, I immediately requested this book from the library. When it finally came in, I devoured it! Maybe part of it was because I could see the characters clearly after watching the trailer, but I was so entirely invested in Rosie and Alex and their stories that I couldn't put this book down. 

I've run into some books, like this one, that go completely dead at one point throughout the book. I'm talking about those points where it's like, get on with it already. But this book was never boring and of course, I wanted Alex and Rosie to happen at every moment in the book and at many points I was practically on the edge of my seat wondering if this would finally be the RIGHT moment. My only complaint is a spoiler, so I'll avoid that one, but it's hardly a complaint and more of a wish. 

This book is told in letters and emails. I really loved this. I loved that you see the life as the characters are telling it to each other, to someone that matters dearly to them. I also think this aspect made the book a bit more readable to me, I seemed to fly through it. Although, maybe it was just me going, "just one more letter/email..." over and over again!

I think this book is well under-hyped. I haven't heard anyone talk about it, or even mention that they have read it. So I'm asking you, if you love contemporary, if you like chick-lit, or if you want a good love story, please pick this book up! And then can we talk about it, pretty please?


Have you read this one and if so, what did you think of it? Did you like the form of the book written in letters/emails? Any good chick-lit books that you've read and enjoyed lately?




Comments