Book Review | Steelheart

Title: Steelheart
Author: Brandon Sanderson
Publication: September 24th, 2013
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Source: Bought it

Rating: 5 out 5 stars


Synopsis: Ten years ago, Calamity came. It was a burst in the sky that gave ordinary men and women extraordinary powers. The awed public started calling them Epics. But Epics are no friend of man. With incredible gifts came the desire to rule. And to rule man you must crush his wills.

Nobody fights the Epics...nobody but the Reckoners. A shadowy group of ordinary humans, they spend their lives studying Epics, finding their weaknesses, and then assassinating them.

And David wants in. He wants Steelheart - the Epic who is said to be invincible. The Epic who killed David's father. For years, like the Reckoners, David's been studying, and planning - and he has something they need. Not an object, but an experience.

He's seen Steelheart bleed. And he wants revenge. 


Review: I have such mixed feelings on this book, but still 5 stars...why? I need to start by talking about my expectations going into this one. I thought I was in for a great fantasy book. This is NOT a fantasy book. It's a sci-fi sort of book that involves people with certain superhuman abilities. It's still an awesome story with an awesome concept and some great writing to tell the story. I think I let my expectations get the best of me in this one, which is why I still rated it 5 stars - had I not gone into this book with those high expectations, I would have loved it much more than I did already. I still loved this one, and here's why.

Characters - Each character in this book is a BAMF. seriously. They are all awesome and kick-butt people that are not only tough, but clever, smart and determined. 

The Abilities - This story is so unique in the way that Epics are anti-superheroes. Instead of using their superhuman abilities for good, most of them use it for bad. It was awesome to read about the range of abilities, how the Epics received their abilities and how they use them.

The Story - This story has been told before. A group of rebels trying to take the the raging tyrant that rules over them. But this story adds so much more to it, the abilities, the kick-ass action that surrounds every page and the depth of the characters that parallels the depth of the story overall.

The Action - This book is essentially non-stop action. There's barely any romance, but I hardly noticed with the amount of awesomeness rocking this book.

I can't wait to see what happens in the next book. I'm quickly becoming a fan of Sanderson's work. I am almost to the point that I will buy and read anything and everything by him. If you're a fan of superheroes, people with superhuman abilities, action-packed books, or rebel stories then check this one out. I'm glad I did.  



Have you read this one and if so, what did you think of it? What did you think about the Epics and their abilities - did you have a favorite Epic/ability? Any good superhero book(s) that you've read lately?




Comments