Book Review | Furies of Calderon

Title: Furies of Calderon (Codex Alera #1)
Author: Jim Butcher
Publication: June 28th, 2005
Publisher: Ace
Source: Bought it

Rating: 5 out 5 stars


Synopsis: In the realm of Alera, where people bond with the furies-elementals of earth, air, fire, water and metal, fifteen-year-old Tavi struggles with his lack of furycrafting. But when his homeland erupts in chaos-when rebels war with loyalists and furies clash with furies-Tavi's simple courage will turn the tides of war.


QUICK QUESTION: Do you like/dislike seeing older books reviewed? 
Review: So I know this is an older book, but I know I like to see all types of books reviewed. I find there's still older books worth reading, and always love to find new books, especially those hidden gems, which often are in older books! Anyway, this is an older book, in a six book series. And I LOVED it. 

Let's start with the world of furies. This is one of my favorite worlds that I have ever read about. I'm partial to elemental magic and this takes it one step further by adding a spirit-like quality to the elementals. I was enthralled in this world. I loved it so much that it's nearly rendered me speechless. Just know the world in this series is unique, intriguing and fantastic.

The characters add to the wonderful aspects of this book. Tavi was constantly surprising me with his decisions, in a good way. I never knew what he was going to do - he was constantly impressing me with his maturity, intelligence and creative way that he dealt with problems, as well as the solutions he used to manage through some situations he found himself in. I would love for this boy to be my best friend, I can't wait to see how he develops throughout the series. I've heard that he grows up throughout the series, maybe I'll have a new book boy by the end of it ;)

In addition to Tavi, I loved all the other characters in this series as well. And the relationships that develop. Tavi and his uncle had one of the best relationships in a father/son aspect that I've ever read about. 

I will say that it took me a few pages to get into the book but then it shoots off and never looks back. This is one of the faster-paced fantasy books that I've ever read. The pages just start flying by once I got into the book. 

If you're a fan of fantasy, please, please, please read this one! If you're looking to get into fantasy, this is a good place to start. If you don't like fantasy, try this one out anyway :) I can't wait to see where this series goes from here. 



Have you read this one and if so, what did you think of it? What did you think about the furies? What's a great fantasy that  you've read lately?




Comments