Book Review | The Burning Sky

Title: The Burning Sky
Author: Sherry Thomas
Publication: September 17th, 2013
Publisher: Balzar + Bray
Source: Bought it

Rating: 5 out 5 stars


Synopsis: It all began with a ruined elixir and an accidental bolt of lightning...

Iolanthe Seabourne is the greatest elemental mage of her generation - or so she's being told. The one prophesied for years to be the savior of The Realm. It is her duty and destiny to face and defeat the Bane, the greatest mage tyrant the world has ever known. A suicide task for anyone let alone a sixteen-year-old girl with no training, facing a prophecy that foretells a fiery clash to the death. 

Prince Titus of Elberon has sworn to protect Iolanthe at all costs but he's also a powerful mage committed to obliterating the Bane to avenge the death of his family - even if he must sacrifice both Iolanthe and himself to achieve his goal. 

But Titus makes the terrifying mistake of falling in love with the girl who should have been only a means to an end. Now, with the servants of the Bane closing in, he must choose between his mission and her life. 


Review: This book has so many good elements I don't know where to start. Okay, let's start with what  first drew me to this book - fantasy, magic, love story. I'm a huge sucker for elemental magic. I find it fascinating that someone could control the elements and I guess, I might be a huge nerd for saying this (that's okay with me!) but, elemental magic seems most plausible to be real in this current world. So if a book has elemental magic, you can count me in! (By the way, do you have any elemental magic book recommendations?)

The characters in this book are wonderfully developed. I felt like I knew Titus and Iolanthe and I was constantly rooting for both of them. They were surprisingly mature and sensible most of the time. I was 150% rooting for this romance to happen. It took longer than I wanted for them to get together and romance was really only a tiny part of this book, but the slow burn made that okay with me. This romance develops in a more natural way, which is something that I appreciated. 

My only fault with this book was that it was a tab bit slow at times. However once I pushed through those few pages, the book picked right back up again. These slow parts were world-building, and while I enjoyed them, it seemed a bit out of place when there was so much action surrounding it. But don't let this stop you from reading the book - PLEASE READ THIS ONE :) This book is really under hyped and I hope you'll pick it up and enjoy it, because it's a book that needs to enjoyed by more people!

This book is a thick one, coming in at nearly 500 pages, but it's filled with something for everyone. There is a girl disguised as a boy story. There is magic. There's a slow-burning romance. There's a story of two people trying to find their way. If you like fantasy, or magic, or romance, or disguise stories, please pick this book up, it might surprise you with how good it is.


Have you read this one and if so, what did you think of it? What was your favorite aspect of this book? Any good books that have elemental magic in them that you've read and enjoyed lately?




Comments