Book Review (New Adult) | The Edge of Never

Title: The Edge of Never
Author: J.A. Redmerski
Publication: November 15th, 2012
Publisher: Createspace
Source: Bought it

Rating: 3 out 5 stars


Synopsis: Twenty-year-old Camryn Bennett had always been one to think out-of-the-box, who knew she wanted something more in life than following the same repetitive patterns and growing old with the same repetitive life story. And she thought that her life was going in the right direction until everything fell apart.

Determined not to dwell on the negative and push forward, Camryn is set to move in with her best friend and plans to start a new job. But after an unexpected night at the hottest club downtown North Carolina, she makes the ultimate decision to leave the only life she's ever know, far behind.

With a purse, a cell phone and a small bag with a few necessities, Camryn, with absolutely no direction or purpose boards a Greyhound bus alone and sets out to find herself. What she finds is a guy named Andrew Parrish, someone not so very different from her and who harbors his own dark secrets. But Camryn swore never to let down her walls again. And she vowed never to fall in love.

But with Andrew, Camryn finds herself doing a lot of things she never thought she'd do. He shows her what it's really like to live out-of-the-box and to give in to her deepest, darkest desires. On their sporadic road-trip he becomes the center of her exciting and daring new life, pulling love and lust and emotion out of her in ways she never imagined possible. But will Andrew's dark secret push them inseparably together, or tear them completely apart?


Review: This cover is beautiful. I'll admit it, it's what initially drew me into the book. And this book had a great start, I just felt it started to go way down hill as the story went on. I'm not sure on my rating, I think 3 stars might be a little generous.

I love the premise of this book, it's so promising; a girl just up and leaves with no destination in mind, she just goes. I often times would think about doing this myself, before I became a mom, I never did it. But I wanted to read this mostly because I wanted to read the story of someone who did. 

The book starts off in Camryn's life before she leaves, she isn't in the best place and part of me was so annoyed with her attitude. I just found part of her to be so annoying. It felt that she was complaining about everything and having a pity party for herself about how bad things could be for her. But on the other hand, I liked her because she knows how to make a decision and she for the most part, stands up for herself (mostly after she leaves). 

Then we meet Andrew. He was more annoying than Camryn. I just couldn't get used to his voice. It was mostly about how sexy Camryn looked and how she makes him want to jump her bones. It got annoying and old really fast. His point-of-view always seemed so shallow to me, I just couldn't get into his side of the story, not even a little bit of interest lingered there. 

They're relationship was a little weird for me. I just didn't see how it worked, he seemed so shallow and immature when she was mature, independent and much deeper than him. The relationship didn't seem real to me, just superficial and attraction, but no depth. 

There were parts of this book that I liked, and was interested in and then there were parts of this book that I was skipping because it was so slow. I don't really want to continue on to the next book, but my friend and I read this one together and she wants to read the next one, so I suppose I'll try to get through that one. Have you read it, does it get any better?



Have you read this one and if so, what did you think of it? Have you read any books where the MC just takes off to a different town, please let me know if you recommend it! I'm still trying to find a great new adult novel (not having too much luck), let me know what you recommend, pretty please :)  




Comments