Book Review | Landline by Rainbow Rowell

Title: Landline
Author: Rainbow Rowell
Publication: July 8th, 2014
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Source: Received a BEA ARC from Rachel! (Thank you, Rachel!!!)

Rating: 5 out 5 stars


Synopsis: Georgie McCool knows her marriage is in trouble. That it's been in trouble for a long time. She still loves her husband, Neal, and Neal still loves her, deeply - but that almost seems besides the point now. Maybe that was always besides the point.

Two days before they're supposed to visit Neal's family in Omaha for Christmas, Georgie tells Neal that she can't go. She's a TV writer, and something's come up on her show; she has to stay in Los Angeles. She knows that Neal will be upset with her - Neal is always a little upset with Georgie - but she doesn't expect for him to pack up the kids and go home without her.

When her husband and the kids leave for the airport, Georgie wonders if she's finally done it. If she's ruined everything.That night, Georgie discovers a way to communicate with Neal in the past. It's not time travel, not exactly, but she feels like she's been given an opportunity to fix her marriage before it starts...

Is that what she's supposed to do?

Or would Georgie and Neal be better off if their marriage never happened?


Review: Rainbow didn't disappoint with this one, friends. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and even loved it. A lot. I picked this book up and struggled with the fact that if I kept reading it as fast as I wanted to it was going to end sooner. I took my time with this book, both because I didn't want it to end and because I loved it so much. 

I loved Georgie. I found her to be incredibly relatable. I know that I have definitely fallen into the trap of not appreciating someone as much as they deserve, or should be appreciated. Not only does Georgie face her reality of not appreciating the things that she has, but she also faces the decisions of what really matters to her in life. I found her choices, and thoughts to be realistic and downright honest. This has made her one of my favorite contemporary characters I have ever read before. 

The relationships were also incredibly realistic to me. Georgie's relationship with her husband, Neal, and their struggles were real marital struggles. There problems felt real to me - as if my friends were telling me their problems. It brought me to thinking about my own marriage (and trying to get my non-reader husband to read this book!) 

Now....Seth. Hm. I had some issues with this guy. He kind of drove me a little crazy. I liked him and disliked him at the same time and I just wanted to have a talk with him about his attitude for nearly the whole book. I commend Georgie for standing up for her heart. Neal on the other hand, also drove me a tiny bit of crazy, but that was more in his efforts for their marriage. But that's what made this book so lovely, the realistic flaws of the characters and their relationships. 

If you're a fan of Rainbow Rowell's other works, this one won't bring disappointment. Such a beautiful story of two people trying to rekindle their love for each other. One of my favorites that has me already wanting to re-read it. 


Have you read this one and if so, what did you think of it? Did you find any of the characters to be relatable? What is your favorite Rainbow Rowell book?  




Comments