Book Review | It's Not Summer Without You (The Summer I Turned Pretty, #2)

Title: It's Not Summer Without You (The Summer I Turned Pretty, #2)
Author: Jenny Han
Publication: April 27th, 2010
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Source: Borrowed it from one of my sisters

Rating: 5 out 5 stars


Synopsis: May contain spoilers from the 1st book in the series: The Summer I Turned Pretty. 
Can summer be truly summer without Cousins Beach?

It used to be that Belly counted the days until summer, until she was back as Cousins Beach with Conrad and Jeremiah. But not this year. Not after Susannah got sick again and Conrad stopped caring. Everything that was right and good has fallen apart, leaving Belly wishing summer would never come.

But when Jeremiah calls saying Conrad has disappeared, Belly knows what she must do to make things right again. And it can only happen back at the beach house, the three of them together, the way things used to be. If this summer really and truly is the last summer, it should end the way it started--at Cousins Beach.


Review: If you haven't seen it, check out my review for Book #1, The Summer I Turned PrettyHoly crap, this book whopped me upside the head. I wasn't sure where this series was going to go, but I didn't see anything coming. This review is going to be rather short and sweet because I want to avoid spoilers and because most of my feels involve spoilers.

This book started out on a much different note than the past book and grew so much more depth throughout this story. I was expecting something light and fluffy and I got so much more - and I loved every single minute of it. 

Belly's growth and change throughout the book was not what I was expecting to encounter and I was a bit frustrated by her decisions at times. Same with Conrad and Jeremiah. I was expecting much more out of one of them and much less out of the other. I'm sorry to be vague here, but you know, spoilers would ruin my review and your reading experience.

BUT I hadn't encountered a book I was so involved and couldn't put down in such a long time. I literally couldn't put this book down! I stayed up so late reading it and then I literally dived right into the next book after I had finished the last sentence because the cliff hanger in this book is CRAZY. 

I don't know what took me so long to read this series. If you're holding off like I did, I hope you get to /want to read this series soon. It's worth the late hours and lack of sleep I got to find out what happens.



Have you read this one and if so, what did you think of it? What did you think of the further development of Belly, Conrad and Jeremiah as well as their story? What are some great Jenny Han books you've read?  




Comments

Post a Comment

I read and appreciate each and every comment that I receive, so thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. :)