Book Review | Wonder

Title: Wonder
Author: R.J. Palacio
Publication: February 14th, 2012
Publisher: Knopf
Source: Borrowed from the library

Rating: 5 out 5 stars


Synopsis: I won't describe what I look like. Whatever you're thinking, it's probably worse.
August (Auggie) Pullman was born with a facial deformity that prevented him from going to a mainstream school - until now. He's about to start 5th grade at Beecher Prep, and if you've ever been the new kid then you know how hard that can be. The thing is Auggie's just an ordinary kid, with an extraordinary face. But can he convince his new classmates that he's just like them, despite appearances?


Review: This is one of the best stories I have read. It's a story filled with alllllll of the feels. I laughed, I cried, I didn't want to put it down and when I finished it I wanted to stand on the street corner and hand it out to everyone passing by. I would recommend this book to anyone and everyone. 

Auggie is one of the sweetest characters I have ever had the pleasure of reading about. What an incredibly strong, real and inspiring guy. I spent the whole book wanting to reach in and hug the kid. I also enjoyed each of the other characters - they all had flaws and it made the story that much more real to me. 

I loved what Palacio did with giving multiple perspectives of the story. I feel like it made the characters that much more dynamic and real. There was a friendliness to this story that envelops you in.  A story that teaches and loves you at the same time. 

This novel was incredibly realistic. From the characters to the story, this is easily a story that I could see being played out in various different schools with different, but very similar situations. This is a book that I would love to see read and discussed in schools. 

I hope you guys pick up and read this one - and most of all I hope you love it. I hope you laugh, shed a tear, and hug someone after you finish the book. Or please come back and comment (or email) me, I would love to talk about this book with someone!

Have you read this one and if so, what did you think of it? Did you want to give Auggie a hug through the whole book like I did? Did you find the multiple perspectives to be a valuable part of the story or did you feel that it didn't work?    




Comments