Book Review | We Were Liars

Title: We Were Liars
Author: E. Lockhart
Publication: May 13th, 2014
Publisher: Random House
Source: ARC (Thanks Rachel!)

Rating: 3.5 out 5 stars


Synopsis: 
A Beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends - the Liars - whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies. 
True love. 
The Truth.

Read it. 
And if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE.

Review: This book has been majorly hyped. Honestly, I think the hype got to me. I had such high hopes going into this one. I thought that it was going to exceed my expectations. I thought it was going to be mind-blowing. In actuality, I was a bit disappointed. I'm having a hard time trying to review this book because I think that it's best to go into it blind, because I feel my experience was ruined since I found out something that I don't think I should have. So here is probably the shortest review I will ever write.

Firstly, I LOVE the writing of this book. I was sucked in by everything the writer was carefully spewing from his fingertips. Everything was so enveloping and delicately developed that made the book a wonderful read in and of itself. 

I wish I had gone into this book without any pre-conceived notions of plot, as well as with zero expectation.  I would have told myself "Just read the book and see what happens". That's what I wish I had done. 

Here's why I wish I had done that...
While reading a review I read that there was a major plot twist that the reviewer had seen coming and had predicted. I was surprised because everyone had claimed that the opposite. Therefore, I kind of spent the whole book analyzing it and trying to figure out when/where/how the plot twist was going to come in. When it happened, I was surprised but also confused.  I'm not going into any more details because I don't want to even hint at any type of events in the book. 

If you're going to pick this book up. I'd say pick it up and read it, with no expectations or guessing as to what happens. When you're done, please share your thoughts on it with me :)

 




Comments