Book Review | My Life Next Door

Title: My Life Next Door
Author: Huntley Fitzpatrick
Publication: June 14th, 2012
Publisher: Penguin
Source: Bought it

Rating: 4.5 out 5 stars


Synopsis: "One thing my mother never knew, and would disapprove of most of all, was that I watched the Garretts. All the time."

The Garretts are everything the Reeds are not. Loud, messy, affectionate. And every day from her rooftop perch, Samantha Reed wishes she was one of them ... until one summer evening, Jase Garrett climbs up next to her and changes everything.

As the two fall fiercely for each other, stumbling through the awkwardness and awesomeness of first love, Jase's family embraces Samantha - even as she keeps him a secret from her own. Then something unthinkable happens, and the bottom drops out of Samantha's world. She's suddenly faced with an impossible decisions. Which perfect family will save her? Or is it time she saved herself?

Review: This is one of my favorite contemporaries I have ever read. It's such a fantastic summer read. I'm a bit hesitant to read books that have been hyped up and this one is one of those books, but it's worth the hype in my opinion. This book exceeded my expectations.

Samantha was a refreshing character to read about. She's smart, sensible and there's no whiney or angst which I greatly appreciated. Jase is the same way - I love seeing a decent, good guy as the romantic interest! Both of them were mature and had such a cute relationship that I was actually smiling as I was reading. 

Fitzapatrick's writing grabbed me in as well the story. I really enjoyed her style and flow of the story. Once I picked up the book, I didn't want to put it down. The plot twists were completely unexpected and had me completely pulled in by how everything was going to work out in the end. 

The only issue that I had with this book and why I took away half a star was because of an issue that I felt was resolved way too quickly and unrealistically. I don't want to give anything away by naming names but this character made a turn around that seemed unreal given their past. I kept waiting for them to turn back around and while I'm glad they stayed on the right track, it seemed to resolve in a way that diminished the story a little bit for me. 

Overall, I would highly recommend reading this book this summer (or anytime) if you haven't already. This is such a great contemporary read that I think everyone - even people not fond of contemporary - will love. I'm dying to get my hands on What I Thought Was True which is Huntley Fitpatrick's new book! 


Have you read this one and if so, what did you think of it? Where you surprised with the plot twists? Have you read Huntley Fitzpatrick's new book? How was it?   




Comments