Novella Mini-Reviews | Destroy Me & Fracture Me by Tahereh Mafi

Title: Unite Me: Destroy Me and Fracture Me 
Author: Tahereh Mafi
Publication: February 4th, 2014
Publisher: HarperTeen
Source: Bought them individually on Nook

Rating: Both 4 out 5 stars


Synopsis: Destroy Me tells the events between Shatter Me and Unravel Me from Warner's point of view. Even though Juliette shot him in order to escape, Warner can't stop thinking about her - and he'll do anything to get her back. But when the Supreme Commander of The Reestablishment arrives, he has much different plans for Juliette. Plans Warner cannot allow.

Fracture Me is told from Adam's perspective and bridges the gap between Unravel Me and Ignite Me. As the Omega Point rebels prepare to fight the Sector 45 soldiers, Adam's more focused on the safety of Juliette, Kenji, and his brother. The Reestablishment will do anything to crush the resistance...including killing everyone Adam cares about. 


Review: Just to clarify: I did not read Unite Me as a whole book. I bought both Destroy Me and Fracture Me as separate ebooks on my Nook before I knew they were going to be released together in a physical form. I also read them in order that they follow, so I read; Shatter Me, then Destroy Me, then Unravel Me, followed by Fracture Me (and currently reading Ignite Me!!!). 

Mini Review of Destroy Me: It is very rare that I will switch "teams" in a series. I think that this was the first time it has ever happened to me in all honesty. At the end of Shatter Me, I loved/hated Warner. He was so evil, but he made such a good bad guy and that's what made me like him a little bit. After reading Destroy Me and seeing that there is so much more to him made me "team" Warner. Like holy moly, he is unlike any male character I have ever read about before. He is constantly surprising me and taking turns that I didn't see coming. To see this whole other side to him that makes him a deeper, kinder, and more meaningful character was something unexpected but worthwhile to read. 

Mini Review of Fracture Me: I wasn't very impressed with this book that comes from Adam's perspective. I have a soft spot for Adam and really appreciated him throughout Shatter Me, I found myself drifting away from him in Unravel Me and Fracture Me just got me kind of annoyed with him. I felt like there was not enough about Juliette, I just...it was so hard to get a sense of him and Juliette when he barely expressed his feelings for her. I felt a lack of passion from Adam, a lack of drive to protect and love Juliette which was something that I was hoping to get from him in this book. I wanted to hear more about their relationship, more about how he felt about her, and I felt dissatisfied in that category. However, I did enjoy getting a piece of Adam's story as I do enjoy him as a character, as well as Kenji. 

Overall Review of both Novellas: I would recommend reading both of these novellas in order with the series. I think that they both add more to the story that I found valuable and worthwhile. I think that there would be pieces missing if I had not read them in order since not only are the novellas from a different perspective than Juliette, but they also follow events as they are happening in between books. They are quick easy reads that help to transition into the next book in the series. I highly recommend this series, novellas included!

Have you read this one and if so, what did you think of it? Are you "team" Warner or "team" Adam?








Comments

  1. So is it better to buy separately destroy me and fracture me than unite me? :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I read and appreciate each and every comment that I receive, so thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. :)