Book Review | Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles

Title: Perfect Chemistry 
Author: Simone Elkeles
Publication: December 23rd, 2008
Publisher: Walker Books for Young Readers
Source: Bought it

Rating: 5 out 5 stars


Synopsis: A fresh, urban twist on the classic tale of star-crossed lovers.

When Brittany Ellis walks into chemistry class on the first day of senior year, she has no clue that her carefully created 'perfect' life is about to unravel before her eyes. She's forced to be lab partners with Alex Fuentes, a gang member from the other side of town, and he is about to threaten everything she's worked so hard for: her flawless reputation, her relationship with her boyfriend, and the secret that her home life is anything but perfect.

Alex is a bad boy and he knows it. So when he makes a bet with his friends to lure Brittany into his life, he thinks nothing of it. But soon Alex realizes Brittany is a real person with real problems, and suddenly the bet he made in arrogance turns into something much more. 


Review: Reasons I never picked this book up before now include the cheesy cover, the hype, and the premise, none of these factors made me want to read this book. While I'm always curious about hyped up books, the hype drives me away. However, this one was highly recommended by a good friend of mine, Rachel, who I did a video book review of this book with (click here to check that video review out). With Rachel's strong recommendation, I decided to check this book out and I'm so glad that I did. This book is more than a cheesy cover, is worth the hype and the premise is so much more than what it sounds.

Reading the premise, I thought that this would be some type of rom com book that was superficial and just a light quick read. This book had much more depth, character development and love than a rom com. I didn't expect to get involved with this book as much as I did. We all know this is a love story, but it's much more than a love story. It's two people that are learning to not only coming to terms with loving each other, but coming to terms with the consequences of their love, as well as learning to love themselves. 

Brittany and Alex were developed so well throughout this book that I was rooting for both of them on a consistent basis. They became one of those couples that just feel right, they are meant for each other and everyone agrees with that. I loved the way they interact, especially their bantering back and forth and the way that they tend to mess with each other. I loved that they realistically fell in love, there is no insta-love in this book. 

Another reason I love this book is the realistic portrayal of a high school relationship, or even a general relationship. Brittany and Alex felt much more mature than some of the other characters in the novel, or even people in high school today. The alternating perspectives helped to see each side throughout the novel and I think gave a deeper meaning to their relationship as well as their personal struggles. 

If you like romance, even a little bit, do yourself a favor and check this book out. I can't believe it took me so long, but I'm glad that I finally got to experience Brittany and Alex's story. I hope you get to too and you enjoy it. 

Have you read this one and if so, what did you think of it? Have you read any of the other books in the series?








Comments