Book Review | Good Bye, Rebel Blue by Shelly Coriell

Title: Good Bye, Rebel Blue 
Author: Shelly Coriell
Publication: October 1st, 2013
Publisher: Harry N. Abrams (According to Goodreads)
Source: Bought it

Rating: 3.5 out 5 stars


Synopsis: Rebecca Blue is a rebel with an attitude whose life is changed by a chance encounter with a soon-to-be dead girl. Rebel (as she's known) decides to complete the dead girl's bucket list to prove that choice, not chance, controls her fate. In doing so, she unexpectedly opens her mind and heart to a world she once dismissed - a world of friendships, family, and faith. With a shaken sense of self, she must reevaluate her loner philosophy - particularly when she falls for Nate, the golden boy do-gooder who never looks out for himself. 


Review: I read this book with my pal, Alyssa over at ACReads. I don't read too many contemporary books, but when I read this synopsis and opened to a page that talks about riding through Target on a shopping cart yelling something along the lines of "The British Are Coming" (I could be completely off with this quote, I borrowed the book out so I can't verify, my apologies). I couldn't help but think that the bucket list in this book was going to be the best one ever. While it was a fun read, it wasn't what I expected and what it was made out to be.

I really enjoy Rebel Blue's story. I felt that I could relate to her and I enjoyed seeing her grow throughout the novel. While I felt that story (and her decisions) were a bit predictable at times, but I felt that she made these choices true to her character. I enjoyed her relationship with Nate and they were a cute couple in the way that they compliment each other. They're complete opposites but their compassion for each other overcomes their differences and brings them together in ways that they don't expect. 

I was a bit disappointed with this book and what I thought I was going to read vs. what I actually read. I thought, as mentioned earlier in this review, that I was going to read a book with an outrageous bucket list but it turns out that that isn't the bucket list the Rebel works on completing. It turns out that the outrageous bucket list is Rebel's own bucket list while the one that she is competing is another girl's bucket list. This girl is Kennedy Green and she passes away early in the novel (not a spoiler! This is given in the synopsis). Rebel then works to complete Kennedy Green's bucket list, not her own (the hilarious one I thought she would complete). Kennedy's bucket list is a lot more of a "goody-goody" type list including volunteering, according to Rebel Blue. I think the book would have been hilarious if Rebel completed her own bucket list and that's mostly the reason I wanted to read this book. So while I'm disappointed that Rebel didn't complete her own series, I'm okay with her completing Kennedy's list. I felt that Kennedy's list challenged her in a variety of ways. The challenge she faces with Kennedy's bucket list made the story interesting and enjoyable. 

Overall, I felt that this book was an enjoyable read. It kept me intrigued and I enjoyed the characters. I thought the story was unique, fun and I would recommend this one to anyone that enjoys contemporary. Also, if you enjoy bucket list stories, both bucket lists in this book are fun to read about.

Have you read this one and if so, what did you think of it? Do you have a bucket list, and if so what's one of your tasks?








Comments