Book Review | The Selection

Title: The Selection
Author: Kiera Cass
Publication: April 24th, 2012
Publisher: HarperTeen
Source: Bought it

Rating: 5 out 5 stars


Synopsis: For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself - and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.


Review: First and foremost, a shout out the cover designers! This cover is beautiful, as is the cover of the second book, The Elite. I can't wait to see what pretty dress graces the cover of the third book! This is a book that's cover beauty spreads through its pages. 

I love the concept of this book and the world that we are introduced to. The Bachelor is one of my guilty pleasures and this book does have many similarities in the sense that there are a bunch of girls competing for a guy's heart. That was a definite draw in factor for me! I liked the new spin on the bachelor idea by adding in a prince and a dystopian society. There's this mystery surrounding the kingdom with the rebels that we hear about throughout the story that I would have liked to learn more about, but I think it's left open (hopefully) for the next book.

America Singer is a confident, headstrong, type of gal. I was proud of her when she went to the palace and was herself even when those around her were just merely trying to impress Prince Maxon, America continued to just be herself, even though it might not have been the best option. 

Prince Maxon is one of my favorite male characters of all time. It's not often you see a kind-hearted, genuine, all around wonderful guy in books and Maxon was a breath of fresh air. I was impressed with his honesty. I thought that being a prince, he would have to keep rulings of the kingdom a secret, but he was always honest with America about happenings in the kingdoms and more importantly, honest about his feelings.

And then we have Aspen, the other part of this love triangle. Aspen is America's first love and a hard-working, passionate boy that America is still harboring feelings for while she is in the Selection. While I don't think Aspen is a bad guy, I have to say that I'm on Maxon's side. 

I enjoyed the writing style of this book. I felt that it flowed as beautiful as the dress on the front cover. I loved the character development and while I wished there was a tad more world building, I didn't feel that those mysteries surrounding the rebellion took away from the story. I'm looking forward to reading The Elite and continuing with America on her journey!

Comments

  1. I'm so excited to start this book! I am seriously unable to function knowing that I'm one of the only book bloggers that I know who still hasn't read it! But I have it in my TBR pile at home waiting for me. Summer assignments have to come first... :( Anyway, nice review! My excitement is completely renewed now!

    Amber @ My Bookshelf Is Hungry

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I read and appreciate each and every comment that I receive, so thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. :)